Kung Fu Panda

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present."

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A day in the life of.....

A challenge has been issued over at Home's Cool to list a typical homeschool day in your family...
So This is our Wednesday...
  • 6:45 Darn alarm goes off and I roll blindly out of bed (contact lens are dry!)..."NEED COFFEE NOW!!"
  • 7:00 Kiddos start to wake....usually Logan (Mr. Sunshine) is up first making beeline for the shower...followed by my Moon-child Mikala and a Star-bright Gwen. (Gwen is usually awake about 6 am but remains in bed until she sure someone is up too).
  • 7-8:00 Breakfast...easy for all except Mikala (NOT a morning person at ALL)...I have to pretty much beg and plead for her to eat and get moving. Meanwhile Gwen and Logan eat, dress for the day, feed dogs, wash dishes and get ready to start school.
  • 8-8:30 Run Mikala to preschool. Logan and Gwen have their daily bible time, with prayers and pledge. Logan will also work with Gwen on any memory verses she needs for AWANA.
  • 8:30-9 We try to take a walk. Its also during this time that we will discuss the bible lessons and answer questions. Great fellowship time and a great way to get rid of the cobwebs.
  • 9-10 spelling word review, language and reading. Logan is independent, but works in the same room as Gwen and i so I am there to answer questions.
  • 10-10:30 Math....this morning time frame gets a little muddled often as we sometimes get lost in what we are learning it is VERY exciting to teach Gwen. Adopting a child at age 7 means you've missed the first word, step etc. Homeschooling has given us soooo many firsts and I thank God everyday for this wonderful opportunity to teach and learn alongside this fun and intelligent little girl. Boy our Lord and Savior sure knows what He's doing!!
  • 11-12:00 Break. Since we do not allow for any television that is un-edu during school days they will play or watch either Between the Lions or It's Me or the Dog (Logan loves this show). Logan will make lunch while I run and get Mikala from school.
  • 12:30-1 Science. Logan and Gwen have science together. Often after reading they will work on some sort of project. If not they will spend time with their Dad. Mikala and i head for speech. While she is in speech I will read, take a walk or run an errand. Sometimes Logan and Gwen will come with me and we will read/review the science lesson together, but they usually like to stay home and spend this time with their Dad since he is off to bed around 2.
  • 1:45 home from speech, kids play games, watch video quietly etc. School day is over but not over if you know what I mean.
  • 2-4:00 I work from home.
  • 4-5:00 I get dinner ready.
  • 5:00 we eat. 5:30-6:30 Clean up kitchen and I try to shower and get ready to take kids to Awana.
  • 6:30-8 Kids are at AWANA...I usually visit a friend or run an errand.
  • 8:30 bedtime for Mikala, Gwen can read in bed until 9 (yes, she is reading!!)
  • 8:30-9:30 I work again, if i don't it is quality time for me and Logan which I thoroughly enjoy!
  • 9-9:30 Logan is off to bed...I am either still working or zoning by this time.
  • 10-Glenn is up for work, we spend this time together while he gets ready.
  • 11pm- Glenn is off to work and I am off to bed! Its not always the same since my work schedule varies, sometimes I am up at 3:30 am to work and if that is the case, I will try to sneak in a 1/2hr snooze before dinner. On some occasions I can squeeze in another 1/2 of work just before I get Mikala from school as well. I work an average of 15-20 hrs a week most weeks. Its really about balance and trying not to take on too much outside of home...a hard lesson I am learning this first year!!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

sounds like my house but add one more child a 3 year old potty training!

Amy Clemons said...

WOW! What a busy day. Well if you have time.... I've tagged you to tell 7 weird things about yourself. Check out my post.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails